Roomba Vacuum Robot is unlike any vacuum cleaner that you’ve used before. It is a totally independent unit, which once configured will operate on its own, cleaning your house with perfection. The vacuum robot comes with an app as well through which, you can manage and control all the settings of the unit. RooWiFi is the name of the app, and today, we will be discussing the process of how to configure it on your computer and your iPhone/iPad.
When using the app on PC, it is recommended to use Chrome or Firefox browsers.
- First, connect the RooWiFi to Roomba and wait until the LED flashes once a second.
- Look for a Wi-Fi network called ROOMBA WR.
- Connect to the Wi-Fi network.
- With a smartphone, it can take longer than a PC.
- If the indicated IP address is not 10.0.0.2, enter these parameters:
- IP address: 10.0.0.2
- Gateway: 10.0.0.1
- Network mask: 255.255.255.0
- Open your Internet browser:
- On PC: Enter http://roomba/ in your browser.
- Other platforms: Enter http : //10.0.0.1/ in your browser.
- Connection Information:
- Username: admin
- Password: roombawifi
- After the web page is loaded, click on “Setup Wi-Fi Configuration”.
- Enter your Wi-Fi configuration here. Once all the parameters have been entered, validate by clicking on the “Save/Reboot” button.
- Then go to the “Driver’s Remote” tab to drive your Roomba. It can be moved forward, backward, turn on itself, right or left, by 15 °, 45 ° or 90 °; to operate independently its vacuum cleaner and/or main brush and/or side brush. You can start a normal cleaning cycle or in “spot” mode and return it to its base.
Finally, the “User Remote” tab gives it a lot of information about Roomba’s activity such as its battery level, if it has detected virtual walls, if it has just entered an obstacle, if it is on his dock, the distance traveled, different data related to the power of the robot, the outside temperature, etc.
Note: We have used a smartphone under iOS here, but it is also possible to use an Android and other Windows Phone.
Using from the iOS app
The developers have also designed an application, available on the Apple Store.
- Download the application.
- Then connect to the Wi-Fi network created by the RooWiFi.
- Launch the application and click on the “Config” button at the bottom right.
- Then click on the blue arrow “CHANGE DEVICE NETWORK CONFIGURATION:: WEB VIEW”.
You are then redirected to the network configuration web page, fill all the fields with the RooWiFi network configuration:
- IP: 10.0.0.1
- Gateway: 10.0.0.2
- Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Then click Save/Reboot.
Click OK on the pop-up that appears and wait 2 minutes for the RooWiFi to configure itself.
- Now quit the web browser and restart the application, check that in the field “ROOMBA WI-FI REMOTE’S IP” IS REGISTERED 10.0.0.1.
Click on “SAVE APP CONFIG” then “Return to Driver”.
You are then on the control interface of Roomba, click on the slide on the bottom right, the Robot in the center of the screen goes from transparent to opaque, you can then control your Roomba. The arrows on the right are used to advance it, the left arrows to move it back. To turn it just use your iPhone as a steering wheel.
You can also manage the speed of your Roomba using the slider at the bottom left of the screen. Finally (and yes it’s not just a toy!) You can run a cleaning cycle in normal mode or “Spot” and return it to its base with the 3 buttons in the center at the bottom of the screen.